So, you lost your Apple remote. You’ve dug high and low and rummage through the couch cush-ions but that thing is long gone. It’s okay. We’re all guilty of losing that silly little thing but the good news is that you have options on how to deal with that lost device.
Well, to start, you can always order a new Apple remote. This is definitely an option but it doesn’t help you right now! Even if you order an Apple remote right this moment, it’s not going to arrive for at least 2 days and what are you supposed to do in the meantime? Well, that’s where CiderTV comes to the rescue.
Just follow the directions below and you’ll find a simple, fast and easy solution to your missing remote troubles.
You can still connect to your Apple TV without the remote if choose one if the options below:
Option 1: Solution if You Have a Mac
Requirements: Works with 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV
To get started you need to make sure that you have downloaded the CiderTV for Mac OS onto your Mac.
Once installed, follow these directions on your Mac:
- Check that Bluetooth is On & Discoverable;
- Keep Bluetooth preferences window open during pairing;
- Connect Apple TV to your Mac via USB cable and reset it in iTunes app;
- Turn Apple TV on and wait until it finds your Mac. A pop-up window will appear that says “Pairing Request from Apple TV”;
- Tap "Pair";
- You will see CiderTV control interface with buttons.
Congrats! You can now control Apple TV from your Mac via Bluetooth.
From here, you can use your Mac app to pair CiderTV with your Smartphone version of CiderTV. Just follow links below to pair CiderTV and Apple TV together.
Is that way too many steps for you visual learners? Here’s a helpful video to guide you through.
Option 2: Solution Through Home Sharing
Requirements: Works with 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Apple TV.
- Get Apple's Remote app and open it.
- Press "Set Up Home Sharing"
- Enter your iTunes credentials and you will see screen saying "Home Sharing is on using email@example.com":
- Press "OK" and you should see your Apple TV (only if you enabled Home Sharing on it pre-viously as was noted above). Choose it.
- Now you can control Apple TV from Remote app! Use it to pair Apple TV with CiderTV :)
Pair Apple TV and CiderTV
Just follow the links below to finish pairing them. Choose whichever model is your current TV to find the best directions for you:
Feel like you are out of luck? Unfortunately, if you do not have any of the options above then you’ll just have to wait for your remote to arrive. Luckily, you can link your remote to CiderTV once it arrives, just in case. This way, if you happen to lose your remote a second time, you won’t be in any hurry to order another one.
Still don’t see the solution you’re looking for? We’re happy to help! Just leave a comment below, visit our FAQ directory or contact our support team and we will do our best to get you set-up and back enjoying your Apple TV.